Cricket is an important part of Harbour Grace’s sporting history. It was the major summer sport in the town in the late 19th century and was played up to the 1920s. The last known match was played there in 1924.
Now the town of Harbour Grace, in partnership with Cricket Newfoundland and Labrador is bringing cricket back. Next Sunday (August 4th) will see a 10-over match between two teams from Cricket NL, followed by an opportunity to try the game, and perhaps take part in a practice match.
The event runs from 2-5 pm at the Harbour Grace Soccer Field, St. Francis School. Any Cricket NL member who wishes to take part, please contact us.

Munn’s grave

The first record of cricket in the area was the formation of a club in Carbonear in 1833- one of the earliest records of a club in Canada. Two clubs were formed in Harbour Grace in 1864, and for the next 40 years cricket was played regularly, with matches against other CBN teams (there were clubs in Brigus, Carbonear, and Bay Roberts) but also big matches against teams from St. John’s, with Harbour Grace/ Conception Bay teams often beating those from the city. After the first world war cricket declined, with the last record being in 1924. Harbour Grace also produced Newfoundland’s greatest ever cricketer, John Shannon Munn, who played at the highest levels of the game while attending Oxford University in 1901 and 1902. Munn moved to St. John’s, and along with his daughter Betty Munn, died in the Florizel disaster of 1918. Betty Munn is commemorated by the Peter Pan statue in Bowring Park.